Wednesday, February 26, 2014

How is that going for you?

At the end of last year, I shared I would attempt a year of no television. How is that going for me? Well, for the first 21 days, it was going well.  Then, I began to slowly slip back into some all habits. A program here... one there... before long, the television was on for large portions of the day.

Now, I am back on track. 

The television has been silent all day. I had to remind myself to focus on doing other things. Read, clean, work, sort... 

I am fortunate to have several new gift subscriptions. Here is the short list of the newspapers/magazines; Economist, Wall Street Journal, and New York Magazine. I am grateful that I have several choices to substitute for sitting passively in front of the TV. This afternoon, I picked up the New York magazine and read Alex Baldwin's article, I Give Up.  If my sole source of news is from the television, I will have a poor substitute for the whole story. I hope you can access it online. You will see a more complete picture of Alex Baldwin. 

Another piece is about the photographer Graham Macindoe. He takes photo of his decent into addition.  The  article is My Addiction Through my Eyes: One photographer's self-portrait of the years he lost to heroin.  This piece is also brutally honest.

The world of fame, celebrity and addiction never provide lastly peace. To me, a reminder to pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment