Monday, February 22, 2016

Monday Musings ... book clubs

 “It didn’t take Celeste long to realize that this was going to be the sort of book club where the book was secondary to the proceedings. She felt a mild disappointment. She’d been looking forward to talking about the book. She even, embarrassingly, prepared for the book club, like a good little lawyer, marking up a few pages with Post-it notes and writing a few pithy comments in the margins.

Liane Moriarty, Big Little Lies

Sometimes I feel like this character in Liane Moriarty’s book, Big Little Lies.  Since, I am a member of three book clubs, I am often amused to see how each group responds to our book selections. Each club has its own personality. 

I love that friends bring their opinions and insights to the discussion. Often a book will trigger memory that will lead the conversation in uncharted waters. It is never boring.

This month's morning book club was snowed out. I was looking forward to discussing Moriarty's book, Big Little Lies. Her books provide rich plots, complex characters, and interesting twists and turns. I am hopeful that the discussion will be rescheduled. 


No comments:

Post a Comment