Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Writing Retreat


I arrive early for the  retreat. I am excited .  Looking around the room, my eyes dart from art to candles, from wheel spokes, to a black ball,  to tea kettle, and tiny muffins. How does one create a space that is safe and provides an atmosphere to spark and ignite creativity? I think it must be an artist's studio. 

Near the front of the studio there is a large circle of chairs. This is the space I will share with others for the next few hours. As each woman arrives, we begin introducing ourselves. I wonder, “Am I talking too much?” I make a mental note, “ shut up.”

Writing prompts… writing in silence…. Listening to others read… Affirming words…
There is silence except for the short taps of Rita’s fingers on her laptop.  In the next few hours, I am laughing and crying. I listen to words carrying so much emotion.   Every part of the retreat has been carefully planned.  What a  joy. This is time well spent. I want more.

Leaving I feel inspired, joyful, thankful, and humble.
Thank you Mandy!  Retreat planner, writing coach, amazing woman...



Who attended the retreat?Women who are  Black, White, Jewish, Christian,  and Muslim.
A small peak of some of the women who attended the retreat.
Inspiring, thoughtful, and talented women.
Note to self... put down camera and write.

No comments:

Post a Comment