Thursday, July 18, 2013

Prayers


When night turns into morning, my prayers blend together. I pray at midnight. I pray at 5:00 in the morning.  I pray. 

I shudder to think of a day without prayer.

When we visit family, we try to squeeze more time into our twenty-four hours. Every minute is precious. The days and hours of our vacation will soon slip away. We talk on Sunday afternoon, we linger over breakfast, we chat over dinner, we visit while our toes are wiggling in warm water at our pedicure. We laugh over Y Tube videos. We even make time for a miscommunication.  When they work,  we vacation. Family visits… love them.


Oh, God, thank you for the gift of family.  

In the midst of vacation, I continue my routinue. Today is Thursday. The Psalm for today is 63. It has been described as the most common and most beloved of the morning Psalms. St. Basil said if there were a perfect prayer to be prayed in the morning, it is Ps. 63. Here is a portion,

Psalm 63
O GOD, You are my God;
Early will I seek You;
My soul thirst for you;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and weary land
Where there is no water
So I looked for You in the
sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory
 (Verses 1 – 2)
Omaha at night



No comments:

Post a Comment