Friday, December 16, 2011

Post Office and Politics

In August of 2011, I launched an online book business.  Since the launch of this resale site, I have sold nearly 80 books online. In the early days, I would ship a few books via UPS. As I examined the price of books verses the cost of shipping, I quickly went to the post office.  UPS is way too expensive.  I was not making any profit!

As a regular customer at the Post Office, my face has become familiar to many of the clerks. After several conversations, clerks informed me of the various mailing requirements.   Today, I clearly understand the rules.  United States Postal Service is critical to my small business. 

Do I understand the politics and the budget issues of the post office? Not totally, but I am better informed than I was in July. Cost cutting measures and postage increases have not been able to make the USPS profitable.  The deficit at the USPS cannot entirely attributed to the increase of emails, text messages, and on line bill paying. 

One brief commercial on MSNBC illustrated one reason for the deficit.  In this particular commercial there are two buildings  on the screen.   Money from one building is being channeled to another building.  It appeared to illustrate the point of  “robbing Peter to pay Paul.” My explanation may be lacking. Who created this commercial?  Where can we go to get answers?

I suggest you call your congressional representative’s office to gain a better understanding of the issue.  In May of 2012 the US Congress will be grapple issues of closures and potential layoffs. How will the issues be resolved?  Who knows?

Whatever the issue, informed citizens are able to make informed decisions when addressing their elected officials. In addition, Christians are called to pray for those in elected offices. See 1 Timothy 2:1-2

Today I am better informed because of this helpful clerk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment