Saturday, April 19, 2014

Substitutes

Arriving to water aerobics class Tuesday morning, I see a different lifeguard.   Sitting in the lifeguard stand, I see a person that does not inspire confidence. One glance at our guard, I hope no one in our class will have a medical emergency.  Our guard is dressed for a day at the office instead of guarding a water fitness class.  Students over fifty want a guard dressed to hit the water fast!

Then, Thursday’s exercise class … we had another substitute… our exercise instructor.  Class was so sad. Everyone wanted our regular instructor.  My class has had other substitute instructors; this particular teacher was not very good.

Until this week, I have not given substitutes much thought. Then, this week, I encounter  the word every day.  When I use food as a substitute to stuff my anger.  Or when a family member struggles with drug addition as a substitute for peace.

 It started with the BSF Lecture on Monday evening. Patty, our TL used every day events, to point to an important spiritual truth.

 Substitutionary atonement … Holy Week.  As Christians, we celebrate the significance of the suffering sacrifice of Jesus.  He was the perfect substitute for the sins of the world.  His life fulfilled every prophecy. Miracles, teaching, submission, and obedience were hallmarks of His life. Jesus is the Messiah. 


“For God so love the world that he gave his one and only son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16  (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment