Thursday, January 9, 2014

Worry and Sin

When most of us think of sin, we may think of the big sins.  You know the list, stealing, murder, adultery, pride, idolatry, and so goes the list.

Yesterday, I found myself gripped with fear and anxiety. Just a few days ago, I would have taken a minute to turn on the television to entertain myself.  Or, I would walk into the kitchen to find something to eat. 

Instead, I remained quiet. I did not turn on the television or listen to music. I did not eat. 

The quiet of the house did not help. I was drowning in fear.  I was gasping for air.

I remembered my past fears.  I remember my fear of having another miscarriage. I remember driving in the middle of a hailstorm. I remember sitting in the hospitals waiting rooms. I recall struggling with professional conflicts. I remember worrying about the outcome of medical tests.  
I remember watching television news and freaking out.  I will not add more, I think you see how the list might continue. 

Simply put, worry is a lack of faith and trust in God. Worry is sin. 

Then, I remember clinging to God’s promises. I recalled God’s answers to prayers.
I remember how family members have come to a saving faith in God, God provided prayer parters, friends, protection, comfort, guidance, peace, and correction …

I know that I will be tempted to worry in the future. Fear and doubt will try to cripple me.  I will choose to trust God and pray.

"The sovereign cure for worry is prayer."
William James

“I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4).







No comments:

Post a Comment