Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday Musings

A student posed this question to me. Why do I volunteer with International Students? Hmmm, Why?  I have a list of reasons.

The major reason,  I hope to share a piece of my life as authentically and honestly as possible.  If International students develop their opinions about American by way of television, movies or music, they develop a twisted view of everyday life in America.
 
Beautiful host and her student. 

The entertainment industry would find the lives of most Americans pretty boring.  We work, volunteer, care for our families, and work to make a difference in our communities. 

As a host family, we have an opportunity to share a piece of our every day lives. 


Another reason I volunteer, I love learning about other cultures.   As I have said before,  “Learning goes both ways” Students and host families can learn together.





No comments:

Post a Comment