Tuesday, November 20, 2012

No GPS, just a map and a golf cart


Traveling to Daukuskie Island

I am directionally challenged.  It is SO easy for me to get lost.  Sitting with a paper map, I have  a sinking feeling.  If have a GPS, I am happy.

 Before GPS, I depended on directions given over the phone. In most cases, I would rely on hand drawn maps given to me from family or friends.  Before cell phones, I would stop at gas stations or look for friendly strangers on the streets. It is a horrible feeling being lost.  When was the last time I was without GPS? Last week…

This time last week, I was on Daufuskie Island driving in a golf cart with a paper map.  For the next  four hours, I explored the island’s history.   Driving on dirt roads it was like a tiny step back in time. 

I was often stopping to examine the map to get my bearings.  I was wanted to make sure I was able to return to Freeport on time to return to Hilton Head.
I think the majority of the roads on the island are dirt.
This school was named for the Maryfield Plantation.
The Mary Field School  and was built for the black children on the island.
Pat Conroy's book, "The Water is Wide" tells of his experience teaching in this school.
This is the  First Union African Baptist Church
I met Linda on vacation.
 The ferry back to Hilton Head




1 comment:

  1. Interesting, GPS for golf carts... If you are on the golf course this will be helpful information. Thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete