Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Reunions


Class reunions are more than exchanging memories from school.  Maybe reunions are about unexpressed needs. Maybe those feelings are difficult to articulate.  I may be over thinking this stuff.  I do know this; I was not interested in traveling four hours to have snarky conversations with classmates.   As Sweet Brown would say, “Ain’t nobody got time for this.” I do have time to see friends.

Since high school graduation and marriage, I moved seven times.  We have lived in four different states, four homes and two apartments.  I am familiar with packing, moving, and developing new friendships.  Experiencing corporate moves has been a part of my life. Today, I have a different desire.  It is a desire to reconnect.

Last Saturday, I was able to connect with former classmates. We talked a bit  about school, fire escapes, teachers, classmates, and our families.   I listened with interest as one classmate discusses her campaign for the upcoming school board election.  Another classmate, a graduate from the University of Chicago describes her research in Pittsburgh. Business owners, receptionists, teachers, and retired folks, we are an interesting group.  The evening was ordinary and extraordinary.  



1 comment: