Tuesday, September 25, 2012

NFL and Referees


Did you watch the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks game last night? WOW.  I just saw the highlights from last night’s games. Who actually won the game? I have to take a minute to see which team won.

OK, now I know.

That was a crazy end to that game! As I was exercising this morning, I clicked to the Today show. Matt Lauer was interviewing Peter King from Sports Illustrated. King made the comparison of  replacement  referees to substitute teachers, where the players and coaches try to get away with as much as possible.  After last night’s night game, I anticipate NFL owners will return to labor discussions.  How can they allow individuals who have less experience continue to make important decisions?

On health issues, I want an experienced surgeon or doctor to guide me in making important decisions. My former internist was one of the best doctors I have encountered. In every office visit, she took time to listen to each of my health concerns. She scheduled lab tests, prescribed RXs, conducted physical exams, and made necessary referrals. Most importantly, she listened.   I like experts. I don’t want to go around guessing on important issues.

 In the same way, I do not trust everyone that in spiritual matters, I want to be informed. “Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.” Act 17: 11.

Do I allow the teaching of others substitute what I discover during personal Bible Study?  Do I trust the personal experiences of others rather than trusting God? I want to be informed. I may be blessed with excellent teachers; I still must search the word daily. There is no replacement or substitute for personal study.


I am amazed at the commitment of professional athletes.
In addition, I know the referees have a huge commitment to training and education as well. 




No comments:

Post a Comment