Monday, June 24, 2013

Monday Musings


 It is in a sad state. The pages are fragile. It is difficult to turn a page without making a tear. I am talking about one of my Bibles. What can I do with a Bible that is literally falling apart at the seams? Currently, it is resting safely on a shelf.

Bibles... In our house, we have at least twenty Bibles. Of the twenty Bibles we own, here are a few of the translations, New International Version, The New Living Translation, The Message, and The NKJ. What about the King James Bible translation?  We don’t own a KJV Bible.

“This is what Senator Sam Ervin of North Carolina (1886 – 1985) said of the King James Bible.

“I think that the greatest book, from a literary as well as from a religious standpoint ever made available to mankind is the King James Bible Version of the Bible. As soon as my forebears obtained the [KJV], they adopted is as a guide for their religious faith, and they recorded within its covers their marriages, their births and their deaths. They found something within that old Book which revealed to them the promises of God, and something which made them fear God and nothing else.”

Toni Morrison fondly remembers the KJV Bible being read in her childhood home. As a child, I remember  looking at the names of family members who had died. Today, I record marriages, births and deaths in my Bible. 

Why am I pondering about the KJV Bible? I want to know more about this translation. People were burned at the stake over translating the Bible. It is worth understanding more of the history.

I currently reading Jon Sweeny’s book, Verily, verily: The KJV: 400 years of influence and beauty. 

In the beginning of this book, it explains how to treat old Bibles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment