Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A birthday I forgot


How is it possible that I forgot my own birthday? I know it sounds incredible.  

To be clear, I am referring to my spiritual birthday which is October 4, 1981.  This year marks my 31st spiritual birthday.  Lord willing, I will celebrate my other birthday in November.  Prior to this day, when the question was posed to me, "Are you a Christian?"  I would stutter and say, "I am trying."  

I was comfortable trying to live a moral life. I was never sure if I was a Christian. 

After miscarriages and a difficult pregnancy, I began my search for God. It was after the birth of my daughter that I seriously began my spiritual journey. 


My spiritual journey consisted of attending church services and participating in Bible studies. What  happened to me? It is delineated  in the Gospel of St. John. In this portion of scripture, Jesus is speaking to Nicodemus, "Do not marvel that I said to you, You must be born again.'"The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."  John 3: 7 - 8

I remember attending services as Sherman Street Church of God. Listening the message, accepting the message, belief, confession, repentance, and faith... Today, I have a sweet assurance of knowing Christ. I don't have to worry and question my faith in God.  


2 comments: