Saturday, August 4, 2012

Saturday Night Music

Do you know this man? If you grew up in the sixties you might be familiar with the Ed Sullivan  variety show.  Each weekend, viewers were given the opportunity to see a variety of performers. In a small way, I think this show made a contribution to my eclectic appreciation of music. Name it, I like it...classical, country, jazz, Motown, opera, blues...
I think this quote by Duke Ellington sums it up when he described music, "There are two kinds of music. Good music and the other kind." Tonight, I was fortunate to listen to good music. Kirk Whalum has been awarded six Grammy Awards. 
Friends who attended tonight's concert. 
While I appreciate different types of music, jazz is a favorite. Tonight's Smooth Jazz Fest at Transylvania University was a treat. Kirk Whalum was featured at this 5th anniversary event. 

I wonder why variety shows lost their appeal?

Tonight's concert on the lawn in front of Morrison Hall at Transylvania University

No comments:

Post a Comment