Saturday, May 18, 2013

Summer Reading


Summer will officially arrive on Friday, June 21. To me summer is more than a date on a calendar. It is the end of a BSF study, ESL classes and school.  It is BSF Share Night and class fellowships. Add a year-end picnic for ESL classes then summer begins for me.  It is also anticipation of VBS, travel, lemonade, fireworks, swimming, family reunions, summer birthdays, gardening, Bluegrass Farmer’s Market, baseball, Anderson, Omaha, Olathe, and reading… Reading.

On my bedside table I have a stack of books waiting to be read.  In addition to this stack, I have books stashed all over the house. Since it is impossible to read all of these books, I have decided to create a summer reading list.

This is my short list:
Dwelling: Living Fully from the Space You Call Home  - Mary Beth Lagerborg
The Journey Home Finishing with Joy  - Bill Bright
People of the Book  - Geraldine Brooks
Year of Wonders – Geraldine Brooks
Educating Esme`: Diary of a Teacher’s First Year
The Joyful Christian by C.S. Lewis
Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
I am a Man: Chief Standing Bear’s Journey for Justice by Joe Straita
The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression by Amity Shlaes
The Gospel according to Saint Mark

Hmm, I think I may add a few more books to the list.  We shall see.

While I enjoy reading, the Bible is how I will begin my day. It is also how I will end my day.

Why do I place such significance of study of the Bible? 
This is what Bill Bright said,   “There is no book ever written that has the power to change lives like the Holy Bible, and there is no philosophy of men that can compare with the words of our Creator-God and Savior Jesus. The Bible is more important that all of the books in all of the libraries in the world.”  I agree. It continues to transform me. 

This short quote is from Paul who under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit wrote the book of Colossians. “I want you to know how much I have agonized for you …and for many other friends who have never known me personally. My goal is that they will be encouraged and knit together by strong ties of love. I want them to have full confidence because they have complete understanding of God’s secret plan, which is Christ himself.  In him lie hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge … For in Christ the fullness of God lives in a human body, and you are complete through your union with Christ. He is the Lord over every ruler and authority in the universe. (Col. 2:1 -3, 9-10)

BSF Year End Fellowship
Below... Indoor Class Picnic for ESL classes



No comments:

Post a Comment