Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Storms


Tornados bring devastation. I see images and television reports of survivors walking amid the debris to find some piece of their former life. I listen to their stories. In their aftermath, I stare at former homes and buildings now a jumbled mess of metal, brick and wood.

This is the season of tornados and storm warnings.  I pay close attention to warnings. I read warnings as they scroll on the bottom of my television screen.  I hate storms. When possible, I alter travel plans.  In some cases, I simply have to grab a raincoat and continue with my schedule.  There are occasions when I have to be brave.

 How do I face storms?  Sometimes my first reaction is fear. Seldom do I face any difficulty with joy. That just seems weird. I like this quote from Amelia Barr, “It is only in sorrow bad weather masters us: in joy we face the storm and defy it.”
Hmm.

My pastor often says something like this, “ We are either in a storm, coming out of a storm, or preparing to go in a storm.” True.  The best part of storms…Jesus is with me.

“My brother and sisters when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance if fully developed, you will be complete, needing nothing. James 2:1 -4.  New Living Translation.



No comments:

Post a Comment