Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Parking tickets and fines


This morning, I was walking to my car as a traffic enforcement officer was preparing a ticket.  “Wow, my parking meter just expired.”  She asked, “Is this your car?”  yes…. She did not give me a ticket.  J


I park on one of the most most-ticketed streets in Lexington. In the past six months, I have been ticketed three times. Each ticket costs $15.00. This money would have been better used on gas or groceries.

According to an article in Sunday’s Herald Leader, the money from fines is being used modernize and improve parking services and repair the aging garages such as the Annex garage downtown. The article also states that the Parking Authority has collected about $2 million.  If I read the article correctly, I think these fees were collected from July 2008 to January 2013.  Hmm... 

Maybe my fines help purchase a nail or two. 
downtown parking meter


No comments:

Post a Comment