Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Devotional Life


Early this morning, I had quiet time in study and prayer. Driving to class, I ask God to enable me to teach and care for each student.  I also need to be attentive to practical matters… I was five minutes late to a class I teach. (Ugh)

“John Wesley sought for ways to express his spiritual life throughout the day. He found the way in what he called the “means of grace.” These were spiritual disciplines which people used to express their faith and receive God’s grace. They were divided into two categories: the instituted means of grace and the prudential means of grace. The instituted means were those disciplines evident in the life and teaching of Jesus. The prudential means were those which had been developed by the church to give further order and expression to the Christians life. Taken together, they enabled a person to life a devotional life."* 

This idea of a devotional life was also expressed by Henri Nouwen, “If I cannot find God in the middle of my work ~ where my concerns and worries, pains, and joy are ~ it does not make sense to try to find him in the hours set free at the periphery of my life.  If my spiritual life cannot grown and deepen in the midst of my ministry, how will it ever grow on the edges. “

 I need to seek and invite God is every area of my life…organizing… cleaning… teaching… relationships… every area….How do we invite God into our lives? prayer... privately... and with others... I love that we can pray all morning, noon, and night. 

When do you find time to pray and draw near to God? Our time with God is essential as we seek to serve Him.  

Source  “Devotional Life in the Wesleyan Tradition.”

John Wesley Bobbleheard celebrates the First Day of Spring



No comments:

Post a Comment