Friday, November 11, 2011

My Grandpa

 Do you have a favorite childhood memory? Some of my favorite memories are of summers with my grandparents.  While my parents worked, our days were with our grandparents.   My grandpa was an amazing man. He told stories... he recited poems, played checkers, ate candy bars, and went fishing on the banks of the White River.

He would often share stories of his childhood in Jeffersonville, Indiana.  We would listen to his stories of his military service. He was a Buffalo Solider.  Congress established the Negro Cavalry  in September 21, 1866 as the first peace time all-black  regiment in the U.S. Army.  Buffalo Soldiers become a nickname of the all black regiment.  Today as we are celebrating Veterans Day, I was thinking about him.

Every morning after reading the Upper Room, he would read the morning newspaper.




2 comments: