Friday, August 12, 2011

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

Growing up, I could tell some whoppers.  Looking back, I am still embarrassed by some of my outlandish lies. I still remember with a sense of shame when a fib was uncovered.  Why did I lie?  Pride. I don’t know any other reasons. Half-truths were often masquerading as the whole truth. A desire to be something more…

In my mind, my identity and worth was determined by material possessions, family position and our status in the community.  I grew up thinking I was poor.  How is that possible?  In reality, both of my parents worked full time jobs. We lived in a modest three-bedroom home.  Regardless of the motivation, I simply did not always tell the truth.  Looking back, I call these my BC days. Before Christ.

Today, I live in the reality of my faith in Christ.  Walking in the truth …
I admit, sometimes I don’t want to hear the truth.  I sometimes have some crazy thinking that by not hearing the truth will somehow create a different reality.   I postpone going to the doctor…. I don’t want to hear a back report.  I reschedule annual physicals… I don’t want to hear the truth…  as if by not hearing the truth will change it…

This week, I have heard a phrase that has been repeated every night, “ Am I right about it? Or, “Tell the truth”… Dr. Croston was the speaker at our church this week…  sharing hard truths…challenging… inspiring… dealing with wounds, scars, temptations…

One of my favorite movie scenes is from A Few Good Men with Jack Nicholson, in one scene he says, You Can’t Handle The Truth.”  You know how it ends, the truth is told. In reality, yes the truth is difficult, dealing with family secrets, wounds, abuse, and sin. God can give us the grace to know the truth and change.

No comments:

Post a Comment