Thursday, October 21, 2010

International Baby Shower...

 On Wednesday afternoon, Brooke and I had a small baby shower for one of our ESL students.  Our students have  limited resources, therefore, they created a book of wishes for Marie Viole and her baby.  As volunteers, we use special occasions as  opportunities for our students to extend their vocabulary, practice conversation, and work on their writing skills. 

Students working before the baby shower











Volunteering with international students gives me with so much joy.  I receive much more than what I give to them. I offer my friendship as I volunteer and tutor. In my experience, our students extend such kindness and consideration  to each other in class. Our students are from so many places around the world.   I simply tutor English. Seeing students from around the world, it reminds me of one of the Bible's most familar passages "This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.  God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was.  He came to help, to put the world right again.  Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it.  And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him.  (The Message) John 3:16 - 18

No comments:

Post a Comment