Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Monday Musings ... locker room conversations


“Every time I undress in the locker room of my gym, I see women bearing the scars of liposuction, tummy tucks, and breast implants.” Martha Nussbaum

Martha Nussbaum words do not describe my experience in the locker room.  . In our locker room, we discuss our upcoming joint replacement surgeries, physical therapies, gym shoes, swimsuits, yoga classes, children, grandchildren, upcoming  Bar Mitzvahs, Bible classes, empty lockers, towels, hair products, and yes… breast implants after a double mastectomy.

Once I  return to classes at the Y, I will miss Sally.  On Friday, April 17, she passed away. I don’t remember much about our last conversation.  Our last contact was on Face Book. She was wishing my friend and cousin well. The kind and gentle Sally… I will miss her. 

Lord, help me treat each conversation with tender care.  

No comments:

Post a Comment