Monday, July 11, 2016

Monday Musings

I have always admired my aunt’s beautiful hands. When I look at her slender fingers and delicate fingernails I am reminded of how much history she has experienced. More than experiences, she has also been a part of history.

As a little girl, I was proud that my aunt was working for Mayor Richard Lugar of Indianapolis. Later, she continued her government service by serving another mayor of Indianapolis, William Hudnut.  In the following years, she continued to an influential leader in the community. She enjoyed a successful career.

Later this month, we will celebrate her 80th birthday.  At the celebration, I am confident that her daughter and granddaughter will invite family and friends to this milestone celebration.

Recently, I  was able to spend some quality time with her before the big celebration. I did not have to compete for her attention. At our visit, Aunt Lena and I were able to share family memories, history, and discuss current events. 
We even shared cupcakes. 


The television was silent during our visit; yet, we discussed the recent police shootings and nationwide protests.  We are saddened by current events.  In her near eighty years of living, she has clarity regarding the political landscape and family issues.  Her insight is precious.

I am uncertain of many things…  I am certain of this... America needs to listen to the wisdom of our older citizens.  I wish we could hit the pause button, listen to others whose opinions are different from our own. I think it is time to look at facts. Listening to the media does not foster clear policy discussions. 

We might be surprised when we become quiet and listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment