Monday, March 14, 2016

Monday Musings ... Mississippi

Greg Iles understands Mississippi.

"My ancestors fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War; I was raised in Natchez, Mississippi; I performed in the Confederate pageant  for a decade; I dug ditches and loaded trucks with black men who taught me more than my book ever could; and I graduated from Ole Miss. Anyone who survived that is a de facto expert on the South.
Greg IIes

As read Greg Iles books, I can almost smell the pine trees in Mississippi. I begin to visualize the people and places he so vividly describes in his novels. He rips time from the not so distance past of the sixties to the present. I shudder to remember the pain and brutality of the time.

What  revisit the pain of that time period?  A famous Mississippi author explained it so beautifully,

I had the pleasure of meeting
Greg IIes at his book signing.

"One place understood helps us understand all places better." Eudora Welty


No comments:

Post a Comment