Monday, January 25, 2016

Monday Musings ... red-letters

Red is one color that forces a person to stop and take notice. Be aware. Think of the red stop sign. It means stop!  Or look at the flashing red lights at a railroad crossing.

If you receive a letter with big bold letters on the outside of the envelope, most likely you will stop, take notice, and read. Then, if the letters have special significance you will read. Here is a red-letter question I received last week.


Did that catch your attention? It did mine!

What is the source of red- letter days?  The origin of the red-letter day is believed to come from the Roman Republic 509 – 27 B.C. Red-letter days hold special significance.

Now, we can go back to the letter.  This letter is from Reince Priebus, the Chairman of the Republican National Committee. While I plan to complete the survey, and share my concerns.  I have a long list of things that are positive with the Republican Party. Here are a few:  A rich history and legacy … from Abraham Lincoln, Fredrick Douglass, Senator Edward Brooke, to Jack Kemp… then we look at current leaders, Governor John Kasich,   Senator Marco Rubio, Senator Tim Scott, South Carolina, Senator Lindsey Graham, South Carolina, Senator Lisa Murkowski, Alaska, Senator Joni Ernst, Iowa,  Senator Kelly Ayotle, New Hampshire, Senator Shelley Capito, West Virginia, Senator Susan Collins, Maine, Governor Nikki Haley, South Carolina, Former Lt. Gov. Michael Steele,     Representative Mia Love, Utah and many state, county and local leaders. 

While my list is not exhaustive, it does reflect a diverse party. Examine  the diversity; Hispanic, African Americans, Asian, women, men, married, single, While I don’t agree with each of the individuals, they do represent a diverse America.

What do I think is wrong with the Republican Party? When one candidate who does not have a long history of commitment and service to the party explodes on the scene with such swagger and bravado that the conversation turns into a circus, I wonder, what has happened this year.  With attention given to harsh statements about Senator McCain, women reporters, refugees, immigrants, a candidates looks, intelligence, attacking family members,  demeaning supporters with a host of demeaning comments...  what is wrong? 

This is for sure… my hope will not be found in the Republicans or Democrats. No one person or political party can solve the problems our country faces. The problems will best be solved when candidates begin to focus on solutions and develop thoughtful policies to address issues.

It is interesting, as I was driving around town doing errands, I thought about the red-letters in the Bible. In 1899, the first red-letter New Testament was published.  The red-letters in the New Testament represent the words that Jesus spoke. I know that every person in office will disappoint us. They are not capable of flawless leadership. Yet, I think we can do better than Mr. Trump. In my humble opinion  I think that Mr. Trump is one thing that is wrong with the Republican Party. 

Yet, I know this... 

Trusting in the words of Jesus will never disappoint us.



No comments:

Post a Comment