Monday, June 1, 2015

Monday Musings ...

 “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls, the massive characters are seared with scars.”
Khalid Gibran

One of the strongest people I knew suffered from clinical depression. I am still discovering how their struggle shaped my childhood. I knew something was amiss. I did not have a name for the illness.

The unspoken illness left its impact on my family. Our family often walked on eggshells.  Suffering in silence.  Our family was not unique. Most families at the time did not talk openly about mental illnesses.

How brave they were to seek professional help. Years later, when I read letters from that period it was like opening a door to understanding that time.  My heart aches when I read the words.

Thank God, today things are different. Yet, people still are hesitant to seek help. There is still stigma in relationship to mental illness.

Last month, as part of National Mental Health Awareness Month, our pastor encouraged members to be honest about their personal struggles. He also introduced members of our congregation to a practicing therapist. As part of the each of the day’s services, she delivered facts regarding mental illness. Her presentation was riveting.  Then, our pastor offered how his family had benefited from professional help. 

It is my prayer and hope that individuals will be brave and seek help. 





No comments:

Post a Comment