Saturday, January 31, 2015

Sherlock

 “Nothing clears up a case as much as stating it to another person.”
Sherlock Holmes  - Silver Blaze Case

I love Elementary and Sherlock Holmes

I love watching Elementary, this modern day version of Sherlock Holmes. Set in New York City, the series stars Jonny Lee Miller and Lisa Ling. In my opinion, this show has some of the best writing and acting on network television. Watching the show last Thursday evening, I was in such suspense; I could barely stand it. I wish I could have hit a pause button.

It has every element I enjoy.  Themes are intertwined to make each episode fascinating … mystery, intrigue, friendship, a touch of romance, discovery, twists, turns and a satisfying conclusion.

Over the course of this season, the viewer is able to catch glimpses of the journey of Kitty a young rape survivor. She is fragile, strong, intelligent, and resourceful. Viewers also see the growing relationship of Kitty and Sherlock. He is the older wiser mentor.

On Thursday’s episode Kitty has the opportunity to exact revenger on her rapist.
Sherlock knows Kitty is preparing to kill the man.

In a warehouse, Kitty is preparing to hurt this man. On the outside of the warehouse, Sherlock pounds on the door. Kitty goes outside and they talk.

Sherlock says I will always be your friend.  He draws her face ever so close; I will also be your friend. Whatever you decide to do, I will be your friend. The emotion is so intense I can barely constraint myself.  The unspoken words… don’t do this. It is wrong. Murder is wrong.

Sherlock does not intervene. He leaves the girl. She makes her decision.

Yet, here is the power of loving a friend who is just on the brink of committing a murder. Yet, Sherlock walks away.  She returns to the warehouse room where her captive is strapped to a chair

How do you love a friend who is preparing to go down a journey that will forever shape their life? Do you preach? Do you offer advice? Do you walk away and severe all ties?  Or do you tell your friend, whatever you decide to do; I will always be your friend. I will always be your friend. I do not agree with what you are about to do, but I will always be your friend.  The power of choice. I will not be your advocate of your choice.

I love the show that leaves you with emotions that resonate long after the last scene has been played. A plethora of social illness are portrayed as evil.  In the end, Kitty's choice was not to give into temptation.  Did the conversation with Sherlock sway her decision? Maybe we will find out in future episodes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment