Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Resolutions, Goals or Intentions

This is the time of year where I finish my monthly and yearly goals. In December, the process begins for goal setting for the upcoming year. Each evening, I create a “To Do List” for the next day.  At the top of my daily list, I include devotions and exercise.   As the day progresses, I cross items off.   At the end of each month, I revisit my goals. Then, I make adjustments.

Over the past several days, I have been considering intentions rather than goals.  Why?  My daughter shared a thought that I might consider intentions rather than goals.   Then, she shared something else… To me, intentions are vague.   In creating goals, I have action steps that are a part of the plan.

Still, I have been drawn to the idea of intentions.    My interest peaked, I decided to do some research.  Going to the computer, I Google the phrase Holy Intentions. On the first entry of page I discover a short blog entry by a Pastor Al Hughes of the Bible Baptist Church in Port Orchard. On the same page of the search, I read the Holy Father’s Prayer Intentions for 2012. Further down the page, I read the blog by Rabbi Joshua Runyan, titled, “Despite Holy Intentions, Ego Can Get in the Way.”  Now I have a Jewish, Catholic, and Protestant perspective on intentions.  Interesting reading, I suggest you take a minute and read the entries. They are very short readings and may be worth your time. 

What did I discover?  Resolutions, goals, or intentions they are impossible to keep in one’s own strength.  I like what Jonathan Edwards wrote April 17, 1723,  “Being sensible that I am unable to do anything without God’s help, I do humbly entreat him by his grace to enable me to keep these Resolutions, so far as they are agreeable to his for will for Christ’s sake.” You might Google Jonathan Edwards and read his resolutions.    Reading his entire list may take only a few minutes. All I can say is Wow!

  What are you goals or holy intentions for this year?



No comments:

Post a Comment