Thursday, January 12, 2012

Life lessons

My brothers, great nieces, and great nephews...December visit
Years before I would enter a classroom, my parents instilled in me the love of learning. As the youngest child in my family, I was looking forward with anticipation to the day I would go to school. 

I was not aware of all the life lessons I was learning at home.  What were some of those lessons?…God's goodness and greatness, establishing a pattern for prayer, hard work, diligence, integrity, organization, respect, love, caring for others,  value of daily routines,  and a hunger to read…

Before, I could read, I would watch others read their Bibles, books, and newspapers. Although I could not read the words,  I recited memorized prayers  before I could read the Bible.

Visiting my niece’s home, I have always been impressed how her home has been a model in preparing her children for school and life.  In each room everyday household items are labeled.  I am sure that she is an excellent classroom teacher.
One example of how everyday objects are labeled. 


So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw away your TV set away. In its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”  Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.




A child's vocabulary is linked to the vocabulary of the child's mother

2 comments: