Monday, October 3, 2011

Bold

Arriving at the post office this morning, I joined a long line of customers waiting to be served.  The post office was quiet with the exception of one lady.  She was giving a message to the entire group waiting in line. 

Her voice was elevated. She was giving her thoughts concerning judgment, provision, bills, mocking God, and a host of other subjects.  She repeated several times, “ I am not ashamed of my faith.” While the scene seemed odd, I did not sense that she was having a mental breakdown.  Nor did I feel like anyone was in danger.    

It seems that the group has made a silent agreement; we will be quiet and mind our own business. Two ladies in the front of the line were talking quietly. A gentleman behind me was looking at the cards in the display case.  I stood quietly with my packages prepared for mailing.  It was an awkward moment. 

In a quiet moment, she looked at me and said, "I like your cross. “I thanked her.
As she approached the counter, the clerk looked at her with apprehension.  By then, she was quiet.  Their conversation was without incident.  Then, she left the post office.

This incident has caused me to ponder issues about sharing about is important to us.   I don’t think it is odd when people ring bells and stand by red kettles during the holidays and at Christmas.  I don’t cringe when the Girl Scout take orders for cookies.  I wonder what caused her boldness.  What is happening in her world?
She was nearly shouting…her words did not seem to be motivated by love.
Bold by the Holy Spirit… what does that look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment