Saturday, January 22, 2011

Facebook , Twitter, Skype & Technology

After years of refusal, I gave in... I joined Facebook.   Why?  Simple,  I want to stay in touch and connected with my family and friends.   I keep it simple...

Slowly, I added family and friends. I can see my family in Anderson, Pendleton, Indianapolis, Omaha, Jackson,  L.A. &  Columbus. More importantly, I  stay in touch with my children who live thousands of miles away from us. Most recently, I have been able to reconnect with friends from Tennessee. I also experience Europe via my husband's cousins  who live in Europe.  

Slowly, I became concerned about my number of friends...Then, I was looking for friends to add.... I wonder if so and so in on Facebook.  My son, told me, "Mom you are a Facebook stalker."  I laughed it off.   

Yesterday, I discovered an old magazine article that struck a nerve; Confessions of a Facebook Addict.   Hugh Delahanty's article in  the July/August 2009 AARP . He wrote about the growing number of baby boomers and their involvement to Facebook.  After reading the article, I realize that I am not a addict.  But, I am aware that Facebook could be a time bandit.  

How do I use Facebook?   I share pictures...share quotes that inspire...post scriptures that encourage me...  Most importantly, I share prayer requests with a select group of trusted family and friends. I will continue to stay connected with family.  I have decided I will schedule time to visit Facebook.  No more stalking...  Celebrating birthdays...sharing milestone events...praise reports... answers to prayers... planning visit with friends...

 Technology can be a positive tool when used appropriately... My next research project,  "How do Christians use twitter accounts?


No comments:

Post a Comment