Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Who do you look like?

Who do you look like?

“Are you Jara’s Mom?” Wow, I was not expecting that question! “Yes,” … She quickly shared; I am a friend of your daughter’s from Asbury. For a few minutes, we had brief conversation  at the checkout counter at Half Price Books. She introduces me to her children. (If I had my camera, I would have taken their picture)
Walking back to the car, I was thinking…. What a small world. Then the thought, does Jara really look like me? I have long resisted comments that Jara looks like me. In her face, I see her individuality, perfect white teeth, clear skin, long eyelashes… I could go on ...she is her own person..I don"t see how she looks like me….My daughter is beautiful.

I am intrigued by family resemblances. What part of my DNA determines the unique structure of my hair? What strand of the DNA determines so much of our physical appearance? You can Google DNA and find a plethora of information on how DNA determines all of our traits. I wonder, how did my cousin Jennifer get green eyes and miss me? If we are obsessed with physical traits, then do we forget the most important traits that are not visible?  Do Christian have certain character traits? 

What is most important to me? Love

“Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. I John 4: 7 - 8 (NIV)

Janica and me...
from the 2010 Clark Reunion


Janica is a beautiful...and intelligent...

No comments:

Post a Comment