Monday, September 24, 2018

Monday Musings ... Memories

Once upon a time before Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and Twitter, people relied on yearbooks, photos, and memories to recall past events. Have you ever attended a high school reunion and realized some of your classmates are remembering events you do not recall.

As they retell events, you may look puzzled, annoyed, or frustrated. You think to yourself, "Really." You may even say,  " I don't have that memory at all." In two years, I will celebrate my 50th  High School  Class reunion. Lord willing, we will look over yearbooks and photos that will actually document events.

At our 35th and 40th High School Class Reunion, classmates were having difficulty remembering events.  Time and age have a way of distorting memories until they shift and change and may no longer resemble the truth.

In my experience, some memories are vivid. Others not so much. I wonder why happy or traumatic events  are somehow more  clearly etched  in our memories. 

I think Barbara Kingsolver said it well, " Memory is a complicated thing, a relative to truth, but not its twin." 





No comments:

Post a Comment