Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Monday Musings ... Music

“How do you describe music? It’s basically the sound of math … and it can make you cry.”
Ben Shive

On so many levels this statement resonates to me.

I remember the first time I heard Andrea Bocelli sing, I wanted to weep. To me, his voice was so exquisite. Today, his voice continues to thrill me. 

Looking back to my days in middle school, I remember attending a musical competition where my brother performed. In a small auditorium, I remember this afternoon with such clarity. His performance was near perfection. Each stanza offered clear and beautiful notes punctuated with perfect timing and execution.

Over the years and travel, my brother has performed in New York City, Boston, Cleveland, and was in an early MTV video. Today, he teaches music and performs in many charity events in Central Indiana.  He is also able to use his gifts in math to communicate concepts to his  music students.

He has a near perfect combination of music and math skills . While, his music did not make me cry. When he tutored me in math, I wanted to cry out of frustration.  I didn’t get it. Math was so easy for him.

What makes you cry?


No comments:

Post a Comment