Friday, May 20, 2016

Do you ever ...

Do you ever talk back to your TV? Have you found yourself frustrated and angry by television reporting? Do you feel that your voice and opinion don’t matter?  Do you think networks executives and reporters simply don’t get it?  

I do.

It is in those moments of frustration, I think that is why twitter has become a vehicle for people to express their thoughts and angst.  With a twitter account, millions can voice their opinions, gather followers and join groups. It also can be a very noisy echo chamber where you follow people who share your opinion, and others who follow you.

It can also be a little scary and crazy.

When I first disagreed with someone on Twitter, I discovered some folks would use the opportunity to share their snarky remarks.  I had measured my words. I thought I was polite. The person responded called me a “zero”.   At the time, I had a little over 100 followers.

Ouch. What she was saying was my opinion was worth zero to her.

I responded in words similar to these... My value and worth are not determined by the # of my followers on my twitter account.  A loving God determines my value and worth.  My zip code, my bank account, and the car I drive, or my home does not determine my value and worth.  

My sweet daughter shared wise words…  don’t respond anymore. Now, I know better to get involved in Twitter fights.

Today, I have a little over 500 followers on twitter. No, I don’t feel more valuable or loved because of that number. I continue to daily focus on things that are eternal. I have learned valuable lessons on Twitter. I enjoy following John Piper, Tony Evans, Beth Moore, and Annie Downs. In addition, I also follow “ordinary” folks. Most of us have the same worldview we are Christians.

Regardless of a person’s worldview, I believe that each person has worth and value.  
This scripture says it the Gospel of John, states it perfectly, “ For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but have eternal life.”

As we grow in the knowledge of God and His word, we continued to be transformed and to grasp the  love of God. Then, we can be transformed by understanding our worth is determined by God.  



No comments:

Post a Comment