Monday, October 12, 2015

Monday Musings

Heroin addiction has penetrated its way into communities all across the United States. Unintentional deaths due to heroin overdoses have reached epidemic proportions. It is staggering to discover the tragic loss of lives due to heroin.

In the past, we would read with sadness about a celebrity’s death from an overdose. Then we might occasionally read an obituary where someone in our community might have died from drugs. Locally, some parents have been brave to discuss their loss publicly.  They hope to help others facing similar challenges.

Over the past week, I have had three friends who informed me how their lives have been touched by heroin. Attending funerals will make you confront the ugly truth of addiction.  

Last Thursday evening as I listened to yet another tragic story sadness and anger were beginning to stir in my soul.  If I only look at the numbers, I might be more depressed, but I think if we look closer we are able to see some glimmers of recovery and hope.


Here is just one individual who has struggled with heroin addiction shared this,
           
            “I lost jobs, crashed my car twice, gone broke, narrowly escaped
            Jail – and I am one of the fortunate ones. One of the worst things
            about relapse for me is not the loss of money and material things,
            but the loss of love and trust from my family.”

Yet, I hope that this is just one person of many others who are struggling to get free and stay free. I hope others find recovery through rehab,  support, and spiritual support. Recovery is hard but possible. 

"Every day is a second chance."
Unknown




No comments:

Post a Comment