Thursday, June 25, 2009

Gardening













Gardening this year has been a challenge. I have a tiny yard, most of the plants are in containers. Rainy weather and procrastination were my biggest issues. Once, I decided to get busy and work, everything was planted with relative ease. I purchased most of the plants from the Bluegrass Farmers Market. This summer, my plants include the following: Chadwick Cherry tomatoes, peppers, basil, lavender, squash, marigolds,and sage. My miniature yellow rose bush is a gift from my supervisor at work.
In Vigen Guroian's book the Fragrance of God he quotes, St. Ephrem when he expressed his appreciation for the gift of the senses and their redemptive role in our lives...

Let us see those things that He does for us every day!
How many tastes for the mouth! How many beauties for the eye!
How many melodies for the ear! How many scents for the nostrils!
Who is sufficient in comparison
to the goodness of these little things?
Who is able to make thousands of remunerations in a day?
...

I so enjoy gardening... the smell of dirt, the joy of harvesting the smallest herb, and the simple joy of looking at flowers.

....

1 comment: