Wednesday, July 28, 2021

#BuffaloSoldiersDay

Each summer, my siblings and I stayed with our grandparents while our parents worked.  We enjoyed  watching black and white television, playing outside,  games of checkers, and stories told by our  grandfather. 

Grandpa told stories of growing up in Jeffersonville, Indiana, school plays, and his time as a Buffalo Soldier.  It would not be until many years later my siblings and I realized significance of his contributions in the Army. 

Grandpa would tell the same stories over and over.  I wish I had asked his about how he traveled or what he ate. I never asked those questions .

I am grateful for what I do remember...  Buffalo Soldiers chasing Pancho Villa. In the telling of the stories many years later, Grandpa was not entirely convinced of the merit of the mission.  As a little girl, it was difficult for me to imagine my grandpa chasing anyone. A child's eyes... I was had a comfortable seat while he was sharing history. 

Today is Buffalo Soldiers Day."In honor of the first Buffalo Solider Day in 1992, Colin Powell dedicated a monument to the Buffalo Solider. It is located in Leavenworth , Kansas. This is where the 10th Calvary Buffalo Soldiers were based."  Source National Calendar Day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment