Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Eve

Before family or friends arrive for a visit, we (J and I) work to make sure everything is clean and in order. We clean blinds, have carpets cleaned, sweep hardwood floors, dust furniture, clean bathrooms, and make sure each bed has fresh linens. Then we stock the fridge to make sure each family member has their favorite food. 


Once our family arrives, our house is a filled with so much activity. We become accustomed to living with a bit of disorder.   We are do life with our family. When you add more adults, dogs and a toddler to the household things can get messy. 

On Saturday, our neighbor arrived with Christmas goodies.  For a minute, it was a bit crazy. Three little dogs were barking, construction paper and stickers were all over the floor, the kitchen was in a disarray from the previous meal.

I was embarrassed. Our house was a mess. 

Instead of talking with her on our porch, my husband invited her into our home.  Do I want to keep people at a safe and comfortable distance? Or, do I  share my life and the parts that are messy. 

Christmas cards are on our mantel, Christmas cookies are waiting to be delivered, and candles are lit to help create a cozy atmosphere. 

Life is not always picture perfect… While we may not invite neighbors in all the time to see the real us… We develop deep friendships when we allow our friends to see the messy parts. 

Christmas is often a mix of happy and sad, beautiful and messy… No matter the circumstances, God is with us. God promised to never leave us or forsake us

For me, that is a comfort. God knows me … and loves me.     

No comments:

Post a Comment