Monday, June 20, 2011

"Help, Lord" Psalm 12:1

Mammy Salt Shaker
This morning, I prayed for God's help.  Too often, I  work in my own strength. When efforts fail, I look back and trace the trail of pride.  This morning, I remembered, to ask for help.

I was preparing for  a full day.  In the morning, I was responsible to lead the discussion of The Help by Kathryn Stockett.   Later today, our  church would launch our first day of Vacation Bible School from 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m.

I was a little anxious about leading today's discussion.   On the table, I placed two salt and pepper shakers. Why?  Because these shakers represent  how African Americans were often portrayed early in the last century.   As we discussed the book, the group grappled with emotions and memories evoked by the characters. It was a rich discussion.

The evening ended with me teaching pre school children about love of God.  We looked at the scriptures in Matthew chapter 8 and how Jesus healed the centurion's helper.  We asked, how does Jesus help you?   These little ones... listed how they pray for help.  To me it was a perfect way to end the day.


Earlier in the day after our book discussion our group shared a meal at a local restaurant.
Book Club members @ lunch





No comments:

Post a Comment