Monday, February 6, 2017

Monday Musings ... xenophobia

When I think of my former self, I am embarrassed. I cringe, when I remember how I felt about international students when I was in college.

Why would I dislike people from other cultures or races? Hatred of people was not a family value that my parent instilled in their children. This is especially true since we were often the recipients of racial slurs. So it is difficult to understand the origin of my thoughts.

I remember, sharing with my roommate, if you are a student at the university, speak English! Hearing people having conversations in their native language was infuriating. Ugh….

Move ahead to 1980, when I was traveling to Germany and France, I understood first hand the comfort of speaking English in a foreign country.

Fast forward to 1990, it was in Nashville, where I first worked with refugees from Sudan and Iraq. It was here when I began to hear the stories of refugees and understand their struggles.

Most recently, I have tutored and volunteers with refugees from over ten countries. Their journey to America is heartbreaking. Many of the families endured life in refugee camps for decades. In addition, they endured countless interviews and screening process before they become eligible to obtain refugee status. I was a volunteer who helped refugees learn English and adapt to life in America.

While, I am not an expert in refugees, I do have over 27 years of first hand experience in  working with families and individuals as they work to  adjust to life in America.

Once people become aware of how the screening process works, they might be able to understand the process. Knowledge is powerful.  Why would anyone want to remain ignorant?



No comments:

Post a Comment