Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A father's love

If my father were alive today, we would be celebrating his eighty-ninth birthday.

I miss him.

The deep sorrow of grief has been replaced by sweet memories of this dear man. Hard work, sacrifice, and commitment were a part of his DNA.   While he never taught in a classroom, his life was a beautiful example.

He was the man who loved his wife, cherished being a father, adored his grandchildren, enjoyed pepper on his melon, hated debt, enjoyed jazz, delighted in laughter, read his Bible, and loved Jesus.

 While he did not enjoy a long life, nor was he was able to enjoy retirement, he did savor every ounce of his life. His wise counsel has become of my everyday life.

The ancient Greeks had six words for the love.  I am able to understand a part of agape love  because of my father. He loved me even when we did not see eye to eye.

“We never know the love of a parent until we become a parent ourselves. “

Henry Ward Beecher  

No comments:

Post a Comment